Sunday, November 19, 2006

Introducing the Fantasy Football Spreadsheet

In addition to the essential material and worksheets that are included in the Fantasy Football and Mathematics: A Resource Guide for Teachers and Parents, Grades 5 and Up manual, I also implemented a spreadsheet using the new technology at Google Spreadsheets. My latest Fantasy Football Spreadsheet consists of three worksheets: Rosters, Lineup and Standings, and can be viewed at the following URL:

Foothill Fantasy Football Excel Spreadsheet (view only)

The Rosters Worksheet shows which student belongs to each fantasy team as well as showing the actual current rosters. Below the rosters, I also list the roster changes that have been made throughout the season, and the week that the change was made. I keep track of this because I only allow three roster changes per team, so I need to make sure that no one exceeds their limit.

The Lineup Worksheet contains the lineup changes for each week as well as a breakdown of the weekly scoring for each player. This worksheet is very useful because it allows me to quickly print out the current lineups for every student when it is time for the next lesson. Since lineups don't change very much from week to week, this worksheet also lets me quickly create a default lineup for the following week by copying the previous week's lineup onto the bottom of the worksheet.

The Standings Worksheet shows how each fantasy team is doing and also shows which students belong to which team. Currently I manually enter and sort the statistics on this worksheet each week, but eventually I hope to enhance this worksheet to pull the statistics from the Lineup Worksheet.

Although this year I personally update the spreadsheet each week with the scoring updates and lineup changes, I hope to eventually have my students enter their information into the spreadsheets themselves using the new Google Spreadsheets technology. In schools where students are already more familiar with Excel spreadsheets, I recommend that teachers introduce students to this spreadsheet in first couple of weeks.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home